Friday, January 8, 2010

The Thing: Another Winner From Master of Horror John Carpenter

Putting "The Thing" into my DVD player, I knew that I was in for a great horror film. After all, it's John Carpenter, the man who brought us such classics as "Halloween" and "The Fog." My expectations were correct, and this 1982 spook-fest wound up being one of the creepiest horror films of the 80s.

Doing a special project in Antarctica, R.J. MacReady and his crew discover something hidden beneath the snow. It's what appears to be some kind of a ship, something believed to be dated more than 100,000 years old. MacReady and the others should have stayed away from the remains of that ship. Because now, there is an evil, alien force lurking around the base, taking form of the crew. The Thing could be anybody, and it's up to MacReady to find out who the next victim is.

"Halloween" has always been John Carpenter's scariest movie. What sets his other movies apart from his masterpiece is that they focus more on creeping the audience out than officially scaring them. No doubt, "The Thing" is a very frightening film. But why is it so frightening? There's plenty of gore in it, but Carpenter also wants to make the viewer very uncomfortable. Instead of scaring them, he creates the most horrific sense of paranoia anybody could imagine. The Thing could be me or your friend, and I found myself guessing who would be the next to fall prey to the alien force. The movie is very unpredictable, and I was on the edge of my seat.

The cast is very well-chosen, with great performances by Kurt Russell, Keith David, Richard Masur, and more. These are sympathetic characters, and I never wanted any of them to die.

One word I can say for Rob Bottin's special effects and makeup is: amazing. The moments when The Thing attacked were strangely believable, and I could feel the effects. Points to Bottin for creating superior effects.

An awesome cast, a great story, a terrifying sense of paranoia, and remarkable special effects make 1982's reimagining of "The Thing" another winner from the master of horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment